Your are the 4166th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 7 1
AuthorPosts

BH
TotalPost:25
An appeal for better image protection for designers and sellers Reply

I wonder if ArtsNow would consider implementing "no right clicking and saving" of owners' design images? I'm very new here and have just set up a few products, but already I can see that images can easily be right-clicked and saved while in the "Customize" function- where it shows you the image that can be replaced or removed. Yes, it's a smaller file, but that won't stop people of stealing, tiling them into new backgrounds for example if they are good patterns, etc. More concerning, though are the smaller of the preview images that aren't water-marked the way the largest size is. My concern is not about the model previews of finished product items like purses, watches etc, but about flat items like tiles, canvases, even magnets and other simple images that could easily be saved and used with very little or no cropping or editing.

Some POD sites and many websites I've seen along the way have found a way to prohibit right clicking and saving with a script that pops up and says "no copy and distribution allowed". I imagine there are some free scripts out there for this. I would like to see AN do this, too.

Or..maybe there could be a way in the design tool itself to lock some of the images or parts of designs that you don't want removed/modified nor clicked and saved? I understand that the "Customize" tool is an integral part of the AN business model and that there is no expectation of that being eliminated. I just would like to see better control of what can and cannot be done with parts of my designs.

Other than that, I am just elated to find AN and the amazing range of selling options, design tools and products it offers. I want very much to go VIP asap, but I would like to know if there are any prospects for any of the above in the meantime.

TIA for any responses.
26/5/2011 5:11:40

rowan Capricorn
TotalPost:251
RE:An appeal for better image protection for designers and sellers Reply

Most people know how to get around the right click saving problem so this would not be a safe option anyway.
    My concern is that many, dare I say most, people using AN are already using images that they do not have permission to use because AN does not police it.

-----------------------------------------------
    http://www.donkeydelights.com
    [url]
27/5/2011 5:13:55

Fred Virgo
TotalPost:2214

Hi BH,

To me, enabling a right click prohibiting option is a waste of time. There are programs out there than can capture any image or web page. Some programs even have a scrolling feature where if the image is too large for the screen, instead of capturing it in sections, it'll scroll the entire image.

If memory serves me correctly, AN DID have a feature where watermark text did appear on all products. Somewhere along the line it went away. I think AN mentioned that they were going to get it back - that was a few years ago so apparently it's not on their programmers list of things to do.

Hope this heps.

Fred
    Melbourne FL
    http://stores.ebay.com/uscolorprint
    My Ebay store
    http://www.realclassicads.com
    Classic Ads website.B]
    http://www.toonsign.com
    [B]Clipart ready to use for your products.
27/5/2011 5:26:54

BH

Thanks Rowan and Fred for your comments. I decided to look into what you were saying about the futility of right clicking scripts and other measures and it only took me minutes of googling and reading up to see how right you both are.

Still, I hope there might someday be some sort of watermarking on the smaller of the AN previews like the largest ones, at least. I guess to me it's like the analogy of locks on the door of your house-- really determined burglars can always find ways to get past them, but why make it even easier and more inviting than necessary by not even bothering to lock them at all?

I hear you Rowan about the issues of permitted use. I have two shops on another POD and I recognize a lot of the art in use being marketed without proper attributions and other specified TOU's, because I have a small fortune in much of that same art/clipart that I paid for the rightful commercial terms of use. In many cases, at least with much of what I've purchased, part of those TOU's stipulations are text credits, if not actual live links to the artist or origins of purchase in the product description. I can't tell you how many violations of that you can see all the time. I don't know how they get away with it :-(

I guess I should stop dwelling and move on. I just subscribed to VIP and there's so much more I have yet to quite figure out. Like right now, I'm trying to figure out why I have two links to my store-- the new link with my (forwarded) domain and the old one still showing as my AN sub-domain. Shouldn't the old link go away now? The template on the same subdomain store is now a mess, with "customize" links all over it, and of course the AN top menu. The upgraded VIP link looks fine. Maybe I should ask this in a different forum topic. Anyway, thank you both for your replies.

Barb
    http://www.threepaperowls.com
    Digital Scraps, Websets and Clipart
27/5/2011 14:18:15

BH

Oh wow! Maybe I am blind or insane (or both) but it looks like both sizes of previews have watermarks on them, now, when I go to my VIP link, whereas yesterday I couldn't see them.

At any rate, I remain a very happy newcomer. :-)
27/5/2011 15:30:40

Mike's Photographic Designs
TotalPost:1

Hopefully this is the correct thread on which to piggyback.

I was wondering if there was a way to disable the View Larger Image/Large version (which shows only the design, not the product). I appreciate that there's a watermark there, but it still seems like an unnecessary risk to show the design that large by itself.

Thanks.

- Mike.
19/3/2012 3:16:21

Lennie
Title:HANDS OFF! UNCLE!
TotalPost:655
RE:RE:An appeal for better image protection for designers and sellers Reply

Artsnow doesn't care. They make the products with Disney or NFL or famous people and they don't bother. Why do you think your images are going to be any different? By putting your designs on AN, you are asking for them to be stolen.

>Hopefully this is the correct thread on which to piggyback.
    >
    >I was wondering if there was a way to disable the View Larger Image/Large version (which shows only the design, not the product). I appreciate that there's a watermark there, but it still seems like an unnecessary risk to show the design that large by itself.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >- Mike.

Before you start thinking $250,000 a year is RICH, use your noodle and find out for yourself!
1/5/2012 19:30:59
Page 1 of 1, Total 7 1